Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Smells like drum and bass?



Nonex

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" MP3
"The Saw" MP3

Five years ago in Madison I picked up a cd by an artist I had never heard of. The cover said, "Ethereal Drum 'N' Bass", which jumped out at me so I checked it out. I had no idea know what ethereal dnb meant, but it sounded like something I would like. Nonex consists of keyboardists/programmers El Topo and Volker Bertelmann, drummer/programmer Piid and vocalists La Trek and Sam Leigh Brown. Their self-titled debut album was released in 1999 by Shadow Records.

The album is darker than the majority of "atmospheric dnb" releases of the late '90's/ early '00's. Some of the tracks have a glitchy, IDM feel which at times resembles Squarepusher or Amon Tobin. I used the song "Something For Your Mind" on a downtempo DJ mix I made and I decided to put up two more for you to check out. I couldn't pass on their Nirvana cover with the female vocalist but I don't feel it is a good representation of what the LP is like so I chose two.

5 comments:

blogdollar1 said...

Hi, I like your blog!. I have a blog about used rv camper.
Stop by and check it out sometime at used rv camper

tweedledeetweedledum said...

This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this music download site, it's pretty awesome too!

jon said...

After we paid for our kids traditional summer camp we found it tough to recover! I totally agree with you!

Mike said...

You have one of the best sites about buy dvd x copy and i wanted to thnk you for sharing the buy dvd x copy information with me. I have a similar interest in buy dvd x copy and you might like to drop over and take a look sometime. Thanks again for the great information. I will tell others to come and check out your buy dvd x copy blog.

Anonymous said...

I came across you blog and thought you may find this site usefull. It has gas saving tips and where to find cheap gas. travel reservation

:)